Sunday 29 March 2015

A handy reference guide of online reading material!

Evening Dazzlers & Dazzler-ettes!

Now, I know this has probably been done elsewhere, but one of things a little nerdling like me loves to do is surf the internet in-between costume bargain hunting, gaming and sewing up a storm. Over the years, I've collated online resources and blog posts that helped shaped my views and passion for this art form which while I only started performing as a soloist 3 years ago, I've been interested in the material since 2004.

Here's my online Burlesque resource list!

Google Books: Type in "Burlesque" and you have volumes of burlesque books come up, from Jo Weldon's book, to Victorian Burlesque plays. Google then highlights all the references for you to go through to read. You can also then make up your own library of these books for references later. A lot of these books are not full volumes though, but what they do have is worth its digital weight in Bitcoins! Personal favourites of mine are:
* Horrible Prettiness: Burlesque & American Culture
* Mae West: An Icon in Black & White
* Lydia Thompson, Queen of Burlesque
* Girl Show: Into the Canvas World of Bump & Grind

So Burlesque Blog: It's part French, part English, but the blogger who runs this has done their research REALLY well! It hasn't been updated since October 2014 by the looks, but its well worth a look, and has a lot of love for BHoF too.

Pin Curl Magazine: Pin Curl Magazine has been around since 2009, and do Print Editions as well. There is great profiling of performers on there as well as some great Burlesque history articles. I highly recommend this website as one of your go-to's!

Simply Burlesque: This blog is in two places. here and here. The older one has some great resources and the newer blog only goes up until 2011.

Daily Burlesque: This is the New York School of Burlesque's blog. Very insightful, great interviews, great lessons from Jo Weldon.

Nerdy & Naked: One of my favourite burly performers, Dangrrr Doll, has only written a few posts, but they have been really insightful posts, especially good for the Nerdlesquers out there.

21st Century Burlesque: Your number one go to for a lot of information about the industry. I don't think I need to say more!

This webpage is almost vintage in internet terms itself, one of the earlier websites I found many years ago and has some very interesting history and information on Burlesque performers. I'm not sure if BHoF has anything to do with them however.

Vintage Sleaze: This while specializes more in Vintage smut, has some really great articles about Burlesque performers and pictures of them. Really good references in this blog too, you can tell it's well researched.

This specific post is an important read if you're starting out or experienced. Always good to remember and there are similar posts out there too, but I just like this one. Read the rest of her blog, she just put out a great post about Burlesque audiences and how to handle them!

And finally, another one of my favourites, Grace Cherry's Blog from Tasmania. A smart cookie if ever there was and talented to boot, her blog posts are really enjoyable to read.

That's all for now, still working hard on costuming, I can't wait to show you what I've been working on!

Keep on Dazzling,

DD xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment